the St. Regis Catholic Church Mission was established by French Catholic priests
in the Kana:takon district of Akwesasne. The beautiful stone building was built
in 1795. It is one of the oldest buildings in the North Country. The church
serves the people of Akwesasne with masses, baptisms, weddings, and funerals.
Both Christian faith and Mohawk
traditions are represented within the St. Regis Mission Church.
The majority of people who worship at St. Regis are
Mohawk. Visitors are welcome and come often for worship or to visit local
family. There are approximately 1,300 families listed in the church directory.